You were born with the innate capability of creating the life you ardently desire.
The path which led to your true nature has always been right in front of you, awaiting your return, but due to subconscious programming, you were unaware of it.
Embarking on this path marks the beginning of Enlightenment, of realising the connection between the inner and the outer world, of becoming increasingly self-aware in thought and action as you awaken to your inherent intuitive powers.
It represents the Adventure of all adventures, a Journey from which no man can escape, one that thousands have spoken of throughout the ages in countless Myths and Stories, Books, Poems, Art, Music, Drama, Cartoons and Movies.
It is the reenactment of the One Story which binds us all, the same legend played over and over again in endless forms, one which has never ceased to attract our attention because of its inherent meaning;
A meaning that so many have failed to perceive of…
Think about it:
How often have you lost yourself in your favourite story, unconsciously stepping into the role of your favourite character and helplessly enduring their every emotion as they are called forth to venture from the monotony of everyday life, finding themselves subsequently catapulted into a world of supernatural wonder where they are lead to encounter adversity in its many variety of forms.
This inevitably leads to a final challenge which supersedes all those previously faced where the hero in question, must defeat and uproot the cause and face his fears tête-à-tête allowing him or her to finally redeem themselves, acquire deeper knowledge and begin to become who they were always meant to be.
Our hero returns to his or her homeland completely transformed and awakened to his sense of ‘Self‘ but the adventure doesn’t really stop there…
The hero’s journey is a common narrative archetype known as the ‘Monomyth’
The concept of the Hero’s Journey was described by mythologist Joseph Campbell in his book ‘The Hero with a Thousand Faces,’ [you can find the link to the book at the bottom of the page].
Campbell discovered a 17 stage pattern at the very root of all our myths and legends.
He realised as an anthropologist, that;
“Every culture all around the globe had the same cyclical story in all their myths“
…the very first dating back to the oldest known story on Earth known as; ‘The Epic of Gilgamesh,’ an ancient Mesopotamian poem which appeared as early as the third millennium B.C.
Take a look at the structure of the ancient story…
- The Call to Adventure – Hero receives calling to venture into the unknown
- Refusal of the Call – External interferences or fear prevent the hero from venturing on the path.
- Supernatural Aid – A Magical helper appears or makes themselves known
- Crossing the First Threshold – The Hero leaves the known and ventures into the unknown
- Belly of the Whale – Final stage of the separation from the known
- The Road of Trials – Hero must pass a series of tests in order for transformation to begin.
- Meeting with the Goddess/Love – The Hero experiences unconditional love
- Temptation – Hero faces temptation which attempts to distract him/her from the ultimate quest
- Atonement with the Hero’s Father – The Hero must confront the person who holds ultimate power in their life
- Peace and Fulfilment Before the Hero’s Return – Hero moves to a state of divine knowledge (Following the death of part of the ego )
- The Ultimate Blessing – Achievement of a goal
- Refusal of the Return – Having found bliss and enlightenment in the other world, hero may be reluctant to return
- Magic Flight – Sometimes the hero has to escape with the boon
- Rescue from Without – Sometimes the hero needs a rescuer
- Return – Retain wisdom gained on quest and the hero integrates wisdom in human society by sharing wisdom with the world
- Master of Two Worlds – Hero achieves balance between the material and spiritual (inner and outer world)
- Freedom to Live – Freedom from fear of death, causing hero to live in the moment and no concern for the future or regrets of the past
The hero’s journey is essentially; ‘A Tale as old as Time,’
Throughout human history, all around the world, these story patterns keep showing up.
These cultures had nothing to do with one another, they had never encountered each other but nevertheless;
“All shared knowledge of this One Cyclical Pattern“
This pattern has consistently played itself out throughout hundreds of stories from all those who had the courage to venture off onto the road ‘less travelled’ and embark on the ultimate quest of the Self.
It is a concept innate to humanity, part of a collective unconsciousness as Dr. Carl Jung would have said and an absolute necessity to the evolution of every being on this planet, one which derives from the very life force ‘calling’ from within, yet only perceived by those who awaken to it.
The stories you read and the movies you watched were not there only to entertain you, they were made for you to awaken to Your calling, to the path which was always awaiting you.
You see, throughout thousands of years, man has attempted to pass down this sacred information which was hidden from the people and revealed only to a select few.
This path was never intended to be a ‘Hero’s story’ only for a handful of people…
You see, it is the Birthright of every human on this planet to walk that very path, but because of free will and the enticements of our primitive mind to keep us in that notorious comfort zone; most of us never discover our true purpose.
The path which is always open to you, is the Story of All Mankind
An ancient story as old as time itself and one that will lead you to become the one you were destined to be, one which will lead you to defeat the dragons you must face within yourself and rise up to the challenge of becoming:
THE HIGHER YOU.
Watch this video on the Hero’s journey ??
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases, this means whenever you buy a book on Amazon from a link on here, we receive a small percentage of its price at no extra cost to you.
The owner of this website does not dispense medical advice or prescribe the use of any technique as a form of treatment for physical, emotional, or medical problems without the advice of a physician, either directly or indirectly. The intent of the owner is to offer information to help you in your quest for emotional, spiritual or Intellectual Growth and overall well-being. In the event you use any of the information on this website for yourself, which is your constitutional right, the owner assumes no responsibility for your actions.